Sunday, October 23, 2011

SORRY I grew up too fast, Ma


In every picture or video that I see which takes me back to my childhood, I notice myself clinging on to my mother’s arm. If a picture was being taken without my consent (yes my ‘consent’ was needed even at an early age!), I’d hide behind her back, or bury myself under the folds of her sari. But I’d always be there - right next to her.

Now that I flip through the pictures on my phone, I cannot seem to find any picture with my mother! The pictures on my phone card utilize hundreds of megabytes and NOT ONE of them is with my mother. How and when did things change so much? :/

To this very day, Ma has been my support system. I know many mothers who would hesitate to defend their children in front of other family members, just to ensure good family ties. But my mother isn’t one of them. I know many mothers who would restrict their daughters (I’m saying this because I come from an Asian background where girls and boys mingling together can be a big deal) when it comes to keeping friends from the opposite sex. But Ma? She can never be one of them. On the contrary, just last week she helped me bake cupcakes for all my friends, even when she noticed that the name on the cake belonged to a boy. She has never shown any signs of doubt when I talk to her about the world I see in my dreams. She believes in them even more than I do. She has never said that my ideas are unrealistic, because she believes in the power of my thoughts. She always reminds me that I’m capable of so much more than I can ever imagine being.

She was the one who would wake up in the middle of the night and get me apple juice when I was admitted to the hospital; just because she thought there might be a possibility of me craving for juice when my eyes open! Even when I come home late from a concert, or an outing, she’ll stay up till 2am if she has to, just to make sure I don’t go to bed on an empty stomach. She is the reason I write today because if it wasn’t for her, I’d be oblivious to my writing skills. She was the one who bought me my first journal so I could record my “pretty thoughts” and cherish that point of time.

Ma and I are two completely different people with barely much in common. She likes white because it’s a subtle and pure color. And I love red because it’s bold and powerful. She’s sensitive to emotions and cries when her heart wants to. I avoid emotions and have too much ego to let go of tears. Yet despite our differences and conflict in opinions, she’s my sole back-up and I’m the very core of her mental strength.

I’m sorry Ma, for being too engrossed in my life that I didn’t pay attention to the new recipe you learnt. I’m sorry Ma, for coming home late and stealing away your sound sleep. I’m sorry Ma, for all that you have to endure because of my careless nature. I’m sorry Ma, that you don’t get to see me around as much because I always have “other things” to do. I’m sorry Ma, that my shoulder is not strong enough to help you lift your burdens. I’m sorry Ma, for growing up way too fast.

24 comments:

  1. happy b'day auntie! =D

    & good work sheg! I like it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww :'( I wanna cryyyy!
    Happy Birthday to her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. Loved every bit of it!

    Happy Birthday Auntie :D. Hope you have a great day filled with loads of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me to appreciate my mom :) Wonderful post...
    Happy birthday aunty! Lots and lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The upbringing of your daughter clearly speaks volume and tons on how awesome a person yu are :D

    Happy birthday auntie!!!
    hope yu enjoy a zillion more birthdays and u still feel ever young :P

    PS: This article didn't make me cry :')

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy birthday auntie :)

    *pat on the back sheg* most people only realise they should say these things when its to late

    ReplyDelete
  7. :O this is amazing! :O I love how you express yourself sheg!
    Happy birthday AUNTY!!xD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sifat Shafiullah said...
    Shubo Jonmodin Auntie <3<3<3

    Hope you have a great birthday and many more to come. I am so happy that your part of my life and I love you a lot.
    The one person that will always keep us together is LIL SHEGGY<3.
    Nooooo, I think your amazing dishes and love for us will do that!! =P

    Keep on smiling AUNTY =D

    @Sheg: Well Written Article!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can so feel what each sentence of this article means to you and auntie! You guys truly share and amaaazing bond and may Allah bless you both, Uncle and Safwaan with good health and tons n tons of happiness Insha Allah :)

    Auntie you're truly one of the best mama in the world! I still remember the day when Shegufta and I got our lisence on the same day and you hugged me with tears in your eyes. That was a moment I'll surely never forget :)

    Shubo Jonmodin Auntiee :D
    Ami tomake beshi bhalo bhashi <3

    Lots of love and prayers,
    Namrah

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, that was beautiful, this MAN with a decently sized ego himself is almost in tears.
    Sounds like u'r really lucky Shaggy
    but there's no doubt in my mind that your mother is too
    Happy Birthday auntie,
    may ur year be blessed

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy brthday autny :D ,, what an article, if i had tears i swear i would cry :') .. gr8 work!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Aunty :D :D :D
    I really hope you love the surprise sheggie littal prepared for you :D
    Lots of love
    I miss you <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Happy Birthday Aunty :D:D Hope your day is filled with lots of love and happiness <3 Enjoy your day and you are very lucky to be blessed with such an awesome daughter ! Sheggiee, your just too good :D
    Keep Smiling aunty and Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Only Sheg can put down thoughts on paper so well and only she can come up with such ideas for a Mother's Bday.You make everyone so proud, littal !
    Wish you a very Happy Birthday, Aunty :) I hope you have a great day and a very blessed year ahead. Lots and lots of lovee to youu.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday,Aunty! :D
    I'm sure you're proud to have a daughter like Shegufta. :)

    And Shegyfta, your thoughts are as beautiful as the person you are. Hope to read an article written by you in one of the newspapers, someday. :)

    And OH! You're by far the cutest person I've ever met. Love you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wishing you a very happy birthday aunty...May God bless u and your family and may He bless all parents with a daughter like yours :):)

    Shegufta what youve written makes me go back and think about my past and think about everything...thanks for making me relive my past !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday dearest sister.
    You are the most cherished person in the family and has always been a pillar of strength.
    Hope Allah always keep u like this. Thanks pillu for writing down the words so beautiflly. I cried while reading this piece.. i know you ammu will do the same. We are all very proud of you and hope we will always share this bond.
    Love you and ur ammu always...

    ReplyDelete
  18. wish you a VERY happy birthday, and ofcourse for having a GENIUS daughter, EVER-LAUGHING boy and "OTI-BUDDHIMAAN" husband

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bou Maaa ur the Best!
    I love u a lot!!!!
    U simply rock :D
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOU MAA!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday, enjoy the day. May Allah Bless you with All His Blessings.
    Love you...Thanks to Allah Subhanu'atala to Bless me with such a wonderful friend and cousin.
    It is so nice to have such a wonderful niece, who loves and appreciates her mother. Such a touchy topic. May Allah Bless you with All His Blessings too.
    Love you maa and enjoy the day with your mum and everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday to my dearest Reina. I am thankful to Allah for giving me such a wonderful friend. I feel that we are so close, we are not merely just friends,we are coin. I am also thankful to Allah for my Shegufta and Safwan. May Allah bless you all. Many happy returns to my wonderful Reina. You guys please enjoy the day with my dearest Ishtiyak bhai. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dearest Shegufta,
    Your talented idea really touched me. Mashallah what a wonderful idea u have. I think this will be the best gift ur mom could ever think of on her very special day.U r great! Great mother's gr8 daughter. I think only daughters can come up with such ideas.Ur mom deserve it. So far whoever came acrossed her always praises her.She is such a special person. May Allah give her a very long life.
    Reina dear, Wish you a very happy birthday.May Allah bless you with all the happiness for today and always.U r such a special person to me my dear. I love u a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy birthday Ma!
    Sorry for all the things I do that upset you. I dont mean any of them, ever. You're the best Ma in the world and you deserve only the best things.
    Thank you for being the way you are

    ReplyDelete
  24. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MA!

    I hope after reading this article and all the comments from all these beautiful people, you understand how many lives you've touched. This is just my way of trying to make you feel special on this very special day. You've made a difference in SO many lives Ma, and we can never appreciate you enough for that.

    Happy Birthday again Ma. You're the best and always will be :)

    ReplyDelete