Monday, September 12, 2011

I'll Be Your Walking Stick


Today a man of approximately 85 years of life experiences, father of 4 well-established children and 7 grandchildren, approached me regarding my writing. He has been reading a few of my works over the last few years and requested me to write something for him. I found it quite overwhelming because this man has always been such an inspiration to me; with his commendable tolerance for life’s painstaking circumstances, his remarkable presence, and most of all - the tender love and care that he has given to all those around him. I dedicate this article to my grandfather. And to all those grandparents who have brought so much affection to this world, but go away without much appreciation.

As I finished reading aloud the last few words of my 600-word article, I looked up to stare into the eyes of my listener, expecting it to be filled with the usual pride that I witness there. But instead I notice the pair of eyes gazing down, staring at the floor mat trying to avoid my gaze. As he looked up at me eventually, for the first time ever I saw tears in the eyes of my grandfather. After a moment of silence, he just held my hand and asked me to continue writing for as long as I live, and to make him read my works for as long as HE lives. That night I cried myself to sleep because in that one gaze, my grandfather communicated to me all the things that he had kept within himself for many years.

Growing up we tend to take many things for granted. The list soon becomes endless, and we end up with lost friends, distant relationships, and a painful list of misunderstandings. A mother suffers 9 months of pain, and a life time of sacrifice when she brings to this world another life. A father has a countless number of compromises to tend to as he ensures that that little being is fed well, educated at the best institutes, and grows up to be someone respectable. Sometimes what we fail to realize is that they don’t ask for anything in return, perhaps not even gratitude. Sometimes all they need is a little support when they grow old and need looking after.

Hundreds and thousands of grandparents end up in old-age homes. Some of them don’t really have any family of their own to take care of them; while some don’t want to become a burden on anybody, and wish to live their last few days independently. However, the majority end up there as a result of neglected duties. The parental advice that we crave for as youngsters, eventually becomes ‘interference’ in adulthood. Trust me when I say that we cannot even possibly imagine what our grandparents go through when their own children wish to carry on with their lives like these “old folks” aren’t an integral part of it. And in the fast paced world we live in today, the simplicity in the sheer joy of another person’s company is a feeling that is soon going to become extinct!

So if your grandmother is being a little cranky today, it is only because she is lonely. If you think your grandfather is too demanding, maybe it is because he just wants a little attention. It doesn’t take too much trouble to simply be a companion and spare time to listen. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment